Mark your calendars and get ready for a high pressure rumble that will send one worthy champ all the way to Seattle for the US AeroPress Championship in September! On June 24, Everybody’s Coffee will be partnering with Metropolis Coffee to throw a legendary coffee bash at the new Metropolis Roasting Facility. Expect to see some of the region’s best AeroPress skills take center stage as 18 competitors battle it out for the winning airfare to the nationals (including room & board!), coffee prizes, and the coveted golden AeroPress.
To compete, go to midwestaeropress.eventbrite.com on June 3 at 7 PM CST, when online sign-ups go live. Only 18 competitors will be eligible to compete, so be sure to register as soon as it goes live!
Stay tuned for more details!
If you plan on competing, be sure you are familiar with the AeroPress Rules & Regs (from https://www.worldaeropresschampionship.com/#/rules/):
Competition Format and Rules
- The competition is a multi-round, elimination tournament.
- In each round, three competitors brew coffee simultaneously.
- Competitors have 8 minutes in which to prepare, brew, and present their coffee.
- When the time is up, the coffees are presented in identical vessels to a panel of three judges.
- The judges blindly evaluate each coffee and make their own private assessment as to which is the best.
- On the count of three, all judges simultaneously point to their preferred coffee.
- The winner progresses to the next round. The losers are eliminated.
- The brewer used must be a genuine Aerobie AeroPress.
- Any modifications to a brewer need to be authorized by the Hosts prior to the competition.
- Ground coffee and water are the only ingredients allowed.
- Any type of filter is allowed. This includes paper, metal, cloth, and all other types of filter.
- Competitors are welcome to bring their own grinder, kettle, scales, water, or other equipment.
- If the Hosts have specified a competition coffee, this is the only coffee that may be used.
- Competitors must present a minimum of 200ml of coffee, in the vessel provided.
- Coffees not presented within the time limit of 8 minutes will not be evaluated.
- Failure to comply with any of the above will result in disqualification.
- Each round is judged blind using the cupping technique of spoon, slurp, and spit.
- Competitor’s names will be marked on the underside of the cups where they are completely hidden.
- There is no scoresheet or formal judging criteria. Judges are simply answering: “Which cup would I prefer to drink all of?”
- Each judge will arrive at their own conclusion, without discussing the samples with their fellow judges.
- On the count of three, all judges will point simultaneously, confidently, and definitively at the cup of their choosing.
- After judging, the MC will lift the winning cup, revealing the name of the glorious round winner, while simultaneously shaming the losers.
- In the event of all three judges pointing at different cups, the MC or a pre-determined Head Judge will taste the coffees, and decide the round. This decision is final.
Any competitor protests or appeals should be addressed to ‘just_try_to_have_fun_ok [at] worldaeropresschampionship.com‘. Please do not expect a response.